Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love John Irving's writing style. It is detailed without being bogged down. It is beautiful without losing the story. I have read several of his books, and finally got to this one. I can totally see why it is my father's favorite. Definitely a case of you don't know what you have until it's gone. Why is it the we have such a hard time recognizing the gifts that are given to us every day? Is it a matter of taking things for granted, or is truly that our perspective changes when things are missing from the equation? I highly recommend this book. Also, I recommend reading the author's note at the end AFTER reading the book. (I love reading author's notes). I found it quite interesting that given the predominance of the religious theme in this book that John Irving does not consider himself to be a religious person. Yet, he writes it very convincingly. I also like the fact that John Irving always leaves the reader with things that they have to interpret on their own instead of laying it all out for them. If I don't feel like I get enough pieces of the puzzle, this can annoy me, but I never feel that way reading John Irving.



No comments:

Post a Comment