Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was warned that this was not a feel good book, and it definitely is not. I found it a little bit difficult to follow. I just mentioned in my last review that I enjoy authors that leave things open for interpretation, but that it frustrates me if there are too many unknown quantities (in my opinion) to draw a conclusion. In the case of 1984, I can come up with a chain of logic that explains the end to my satisfaction, but I am not confident that it is the intended logical chain. There is a difference between being able to draw multiple conclusions (based on individual perspective) and being unsure of your own conclusions due to feeling like you lack information.

That being said, it is a very thought provoking book, and is still very poignant today given the political climate. I would highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it. Next on my list is Brave New World I have been told that this is the mirror image of 1984 regarding method of control of the populous.



No comments:

Post a Comment