Thursday, August 4, 2011

2006 version - 1001 Books to Read - Completed

#43 The Corrections – Jonathan Franzen

#93 Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden

#117 A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry

#196 A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving (currently reading)

#238 The Cider House Rules – John Irving

#301 The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

#303 The World According to Garp – John Irving

#400 The Master and Margarita – Mikhail Bulgakov

#436 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey

#444 Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert Heinlein

#456 To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee

#547 Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell

#564 Animal Farm – George Orwell

#574 The Little Prince – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (in English AND French)

#603 Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier

#610 The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien

#689 The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway

#695 The Murder of Roger Ackroyd – Agatha Christie

#767 The Jungle – Upton Sinclair

#780 Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad

#809 The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde

#837 The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoevsky

#840 Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy

#863 Little Women – Louisa May Alcott

#897 The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne

#904 Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë


TWENTY-SIX (and that includes two that I am currently reading). Sad, sad, sad.

There are a couple that I think I might have read, but since I wasn't sure, I didn't include them. For example, I am almost positive that I have read The Color Purple, but not entirely, so I am being conservative and not including it.

So, this is a classic turning point moment... Glass half full or half empty? Do I concentrate on the fact that it is pitiful that I have only read 26 of these books, or do I enthuse because of the opportunity to read so many more? I think I am going for the adventure....

Thank you to my mostly public school education (there were two years of private school in there), Oprah's book club (although I am behind and would have a few more under my belt if I had read all of her picks), and my Russian literature class in college. Master and Margarita is a very entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment