Sunday, January 6, 2013

A visit from the Goon Squad 2012 list addition

I actually read this in 2011 as the Goodreads community read. How interesting that it is now on the 1001 Books list! A Visit from the Goon SquadA Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While I am unsure whether I liked the style of the different narrators for each chapter, in my more optimistic moments, it was like a mini-mystery trying to figure out who was narrating and at what point in their life, and how they were connected to the other narrators. And, as a whole, I think it fits well with the chaotic world of punk music that is the underlying theme of the whole story. I did really care about the characters, and while I typically don't like flash backs and flash forwards in abundance, I did not find these distracting. I enjoyed being pleasantly surprised by this book that I probably wouldn't have picked up had it not been for the Goodreads challenge. Thank you, Goodreads!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment