Monday, September 12, 2011

Elegance of the Hedgehog - 2010 version of the LIST

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't usually like character studies as they tend to be slow moving in my experience. However, I did not find this to be slow moving at all. I found it to be one of the most beautiful books that I have ever read. To the point that I literally teared up as I completed it just now. The language is beautiful. The descriptions of the other tenants by both the narrators is priceless. The movement of the book through short chapters and the exchange of the narration between a 12 year old girl and a 54 year old woman was marvelous. As someone who obtained a minor in Russian in college, and read Anna Karenina with Oprah, I definitely enjoyed the references to this text. I can't say enough good things about this book. I am so glad that my mother-in-law recommended it. It is on the 2010 version of the 1001 Books to Read Before you Die list, and for good reason. I can't wait to pick up Gourmet Rhapsody from the local library. It is definitely now on my to read list.



No comments:

Post a Comment